Spring Sailing Program
Spring sailboat racing program for kids aged 8-18 years old
The Spring Sailing Program at Seattle Yacht Club is open to the public for all school aged boys and girls with no experience necessary. Sessions will be held at Seattle Yacht Club two times a week.
About Spring Sailing
The primary purpose of this program is to introduce more youth to the sport of competitive sailing. It is open to a wide range of experience and abilities; whether being new to sailing, racing, or experienced in both - this program will be a good fit.
The boats sailed in the Spring Program are the same that are used for the award-winning SYC Summer Sailing School: Vanguard 15s, RS Fevas, Lasers, and Optis. Sailors will be able to sail any or all of these boats, with some sailors being assigned a boat type depending on age, size/weight, and experience. These boats are some of the best for learning the fundamentals of sailing and racing.
Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.. All sessions are held at the Seattle Yacht Club.
Program runs from March 2nd to May 2nd.
Benefits of Spring Sailing at SYC
- Supervised access to SYC facilities, boats, sails and equipment necessary for sailing.
- 18 Scheduled sessions at SYC
- Sailing is an active sport, building strength, agility, and coordination
- Sailing is a collegiate, co-ed, and lifelong sport
- Top level coaching
- Providing sailors lots of opportunity for the future!
- Complete Registration forms are required before a sailor can participate in any aspect of the program
- Sailors need to know how to swim
- Sailors will show respect to the coaches, boats, SYC facilities, and members
- Sailors should be enthusiastic, positive, and committed to advancing their abilities!
Clothing & Gear
Sailors will need to wear clothing that they can get wet in. Examples are wet suits, synthetic long underwear/undergarments with shorts, rain jacket/pants, and fleece jacket or other clothing that is non-cotton. Bring a change of clothing because you will get wet!
Sailors will wear PFDs while on the water (personal floatation device). PFDs are available at SYC if sailors do not have their own.
The cost per participant is $300. By registering for the spring season you agree to pay the full amount. Scholarships are available (contact the coach for details).
Want to try it out?
Feel free to come to a practice to check it out - no payment up front. However, you must have a signed Registration Form.
Call the SYC Sailing Office at (206) 926-1011 or email Coach Cameron Hoard.